25 September, 2007

Free Lunch is 1 year old

1 year ago this past weekend was the first free lunch. 805 lunches later, i feel like my blog posts have just become boring! It kind of troubled me at first, but after some reflection, I came to realize that free lunch is predictable. And for me, predictable is good. The people I see are familiar. The newness of experiencing a different culture and different kinds of people with different values has worn off. The are no longer objects that fulfill my desire of being charitable, they are people I see and even know a little bit. I see Lorenzo at the community center almost every time. Lorenzo knows me and I know him. He sees my car and he stands up and puts his arms out with a smile, and we walk to eachother and shake hands, and it is good to see him. I look forward to seeing Lorenzo, and I hope he looks forward to seeing me. After we exchange our greeting, he grabs a lunch and we hang out for a little bit.

When I think about it, it takes a measure of trust to take a lunch from a stranger. I would be a little skeptical if someone just gave me a lunch...what if they put ex-lax in the chocolate chip cookies? Luckily, I don't serve chocolate chip cookies, so I don't ever get the question.

The familiarity is a good thing. A very smart dude sends out an email every so often, and the last email was pretty insightful and encouraging to my latest experience, Floyd McClung writes:

Put down and cultivate roots. There is no fruit without roots. Roots give us strength. They bring stability when the wind blows. Roots mean we belong. A rootless person is a person who floats through life, never having stayed long enough or committed deep enough to really give himself or herself to a place or a people. Roots give us depth. In times of drought people with roots will survive, even thrive, while others dry up. There are seasons in everyone’s life of dryness. But a person with deep roots draws from the water that flows far beneath the surface. There are different kinds of roots: emotional roots, relational roots, cultural roots, and spiritual roots. Love the place God puts you. Love the people God joins you with. Invest your life in a small community of people where you are known, held accountable, and are loved.

If I were to stop doing free lunch, I would feel a little uprooted. That's a good thing, and a new thing, something I can smile about.

1 comment:

amy said...

Happy birthday, Free Lunch.

And Jason, thanks for so diligently changing our little corner of the world. Our community, and the Free Lunch community, wouldn't be the same without you.